Wednesday, June 9, 2010

GF Crepes aka ode to Suzanne Somers

Suzanne Somers is a brilliant cook.  There, I said it.  When I lived in Oklahoma, my mom and I managed to gain some weight eating fried catfish and BBQ galore (shocking, I know!), so we turned to the diet book section at Hasting's and who else would we choose to consult first except Suzanne? When I was a little girl I pretended to be her, I named my doll baby after her and begged to watch Three's Company reruns on late night.
Mom bought one of her books for us to share
I often ask to borrow it, but she's having none of it.
So, years ago - I mean like 7, I bought another one of her books




I won't let my mom borrow it either. Ha!
Back to the story....so mom and I went on the "Eat Great" diet and were immediately sabotaged by my dear daddy.  As we went through the store picking up fat free dairy to eat with our carbs and full fat cheeses to go with our eggplant and chicken, he was picking up creme horns and Chunky Chips Ahoy.  Did I mention this was a summer while I was in college? So, I was still living with them and I couldn't realistically throw a fit?
We tried so hard to ignore the goodies. I ate my whole wheat pita (little did I know back then about cd!) with cuc & toms and fat free cream cheese while staring at dad shoveling cookies and ice cream down his gullet.  Mom and I would be drowning in our eggs with cheese and spinach while dad scooped Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast.
Mom broke first. I threw fits, guilted her and finally I broke too...after about 4 days.
I guess when it came down to it, it's a good thing I caved in. I was getting sick from the whole wheat and barley, which now I know was the celiac.  At the time I just thought it was the food combining method.
Umm...where was I going with this? Oh yeah, crepes.  So I had another enjoyable evening thumbing through cookbooks looking for new recipes. The "Eat, Cheat" book had a lovely recipe for crepes w/ filling and here we are. Making egg crepes with spinach ricotta filling and creamy Parmesean sauce.


I ate 1 and was so full.  They are decadent and surprisingly in expensive and quick to make.  I think when I have time I might make a bunch of crepes and freeze them to have on hand for other fillings too.  For now, I put the rest of these in individual containers and froze them for later - no way I could eat them all, not even for leftovers all week.




The End.
P.S. I tried to "borrow" that book from my Mom again and she caught me  :(
I get it -she's concerned that I already have a strict diet and doesn't want me to go crazy. Guess I will have to buy it myself then...

No comments:

Post a Comment