Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Coming Sunday...GF food stamp budgeting

This month's brain child came from an interesting article that sent me to this website: http://www.gfcf-diet.talkaboutcuringautism.org/gfcfsf-diet-on-food-stamps.htm, where they have developed a plan for living on a food stamp budget - gluten, soy and dairy free.

I'm totally intrigued and decided to give it a try in the spirit of proving that gluten free doesn't = expen$ive.

So I'm going to take it and scale it to be for 1 instead of 4 because I don't plan on adopting 3 people for every meal this month. Unless I have volunteers??


One thing I don't agree with is that they say it would be cheaper to use non-gf foods for people in the family who don't need it, but why would you? For the $5 savings per week you are putting at least 1 person in danger of glutening, which believe me, is no fun! I'd pay $5 a day to make sure I never got glutened again!


Another curiosity on my part is the concept of food stamps. Once in a while there's a news story about people on food stamps barely scraping by - so I've always wondered...


My greatest hurdle to overcome - the lack of chocolate chips and wine.


So here's the link to the menu: http://www.gfcf-diet.talkaboutcuringautism.org/gfcfsf-foodstamp-monthly-menu-cost.html. I'll be spending the rest of this week using stuff up!

No comments:

Post a Comment