Friday, March 5, 2010

Where can I get good Alligator broth?


I went for Allergy testing this week and out of 300+ foods that they tested me for, I'm allergic to one. A single food. Chicken. I thought the Dr. was teasing me, but no, it's true.

My sweet friend Sarah offered up a solution, which of course made me laugh right out loud - Alligator broth :) Of course, she's kidding (I think). But really, what will I use for soup now?

At the appointment I told the Dr. "No, I don't eat chicken, I don't really like it." Then I thought about it and I had been using cans and cans of broth for soup lately, almost every day for months. When I got home I pulled open the fridge and right there in front of me was a package of Hormel pre-cooked chicken breast. Oh. Now I remember, I discovered that a couple months ago and thought it was a little miracle in a box.

See, I hate raw chicken. It gives me the heebie jeebies and I can't cook it unless I'm wearing disposable rubber gloves and it's garbage day so I can get rid of all the wrappers right away. Then I flood the kitchen with Lysol (remember how I said I was not loving the raw poultry on my F$ experiment?).

Until now, I thought it was just some weird irrational quirk. Yesterday, I decided it was my subconscious keeping me from something I was allergic to. It was successful until Hormel invented that yummy cooked stuff so I could rationalize eating it. Darn.

It's kind of like gluten to me. I never really liked pasta or bread, in fact I would eat the toppings off the pizza and leave the crust, I'd douse on twice the pasta sauce to gag down the spaghetti and I'd eat the insides out of sandwiches and leave the bread. In college we had a joke about how I ate chocolate chip cookies - that you might as well just give me the chocolate without all the icky cookie bits. Needless to say, I got scolded for wasting food and laughed at for that "quirkiness" that was part of my charm. Mom felt really guilty for that when I was diagnosed with Celiac.

The moral of the story is, if you don't want to eat something and it gives you the heebie jeebies just tell people you're allergic to it - it's probably true.

Also, go do allergy testing if you can. It gave me great peace of mind about what was causing me issues and also what's not!



No comments:

Post a Comment