Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Celiac, you're always on my mind

I had coffee with a good friend the other day, at Starbuck's natch, and she was telling me about her son and how he isn't growing as fast as expected.  My first thought, of course, is to test him for Celiac, since that's when it's most likely to present itself.  I found myself having to hold back and ask a few questions first.  I don't want to be that lady, you know?

That lady thinks everything relates to her and everyone must be concerned with the same thing she is all the time.

So, I asked what the Dr. said and what not. Then, satisfied that her Dr. had not brought up Celiac or ran any tests on him, I apologetically offered up to her that she should consider a simple blood test for Celiac and simple skin tests for food allergies too.  I think it is important, I know that if I'd have known sooner my life would have been much less painful and I don't want anyone to go through that! At the same time I felt sheepish about bringing it up because then I feel like that lady!

Every day since, I want to ask if she's going to do it or if she just thinks I'm that silly lady.  I'm holding back!

I don't understand people who can just embrace not knowing.  They say ignorance is bliss, but I wasn't born with that gene. I have to know.  For instance, I knew there was no way on God's green earth that I could have HIV, but at my last annual checkup, I asked the Dr. to order the test anyway.  I figured, they were drawing blood and I had mysterious symptoms - might as well check everything!  There might be a slight chance that I was exposed helping coworkers apply bandaids or something.  Well, I didn't stress about it waiting for the test to come back but when it did *Negative*, thank you very much, I was still just a tiny bit relieved.  Putting your mind to rest is almost as good as knowing exactly what's wrong.

That's why I'm writing this.  I'm dying to know that a friend took my advice but I can't out and out ask her without bordering on crazy person so, um...if you're reading this and took my advice, let me know!  I'm dying here!

No comments:

Post a Comment