Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'm like an eccentric old lady about my Greek quinoa


I've mentioned Greek quinoa salad half a dozen times in the last month on this blog.  I'm like an old person who tells the grandkids about "back in the day" so many times they can recite it along with her. So I decided it's time to post my ode to the Greek Quinoa Salad so I can get over it. Ha.

Here it is...
I started with a cup of quinoa, 2 cups of water and a giant bowl in the microwave - 13 minutes, stirring once in the middle.

I chopped a cucumber, 1/3 of a large onion (wished it was red but yellow had to do), and cut up some poor baby tomatoes.  As you can see one was spared - it was just too cute with it's little stem on top.

Now it's all alone, the other vine dwellers' guts all over the cutting board...a moment please...Moving on!

Last night, I put cans of quartered artichoke hearts, chickpeas and of black olives in the fridge to chill because it helps lower the salad's temp faster (you know the quinoa will be hot when it exits the micro).

Once the quinoa was cooked, I dumped everything in plus the last of the red wine vinegar (which wasn't quite enough, boohoo), a sprinkle of basil (fresh would have been better but dried wasn't all that bad), a glug of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, a dash of S&P and stirred so carefully because the bowl was overflowing.

Chilled it for about 30 minutes and ate a ton.  I'll be eating it all week folks.  Don't forget to tip your waitress.

No comments:

Post a Comment