Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Even if you can't lick your elbow...go gf in the shower

 You've got the diet down but did you think about your soaps, lotions, hair products etc?  I've heard people say so many times "I didn't have to change those things, I'm fine." but continually think they are getting glutened.  Here's the connection...

Picture yourself (or someone else, whatever) in the shower, putting shampoo and conditioner on your head and the suds are running down across your lips.  You might not exactly slurp it up (unless you breathe through your mouth, like when you have a cold) but there will be residue on your lips to ingest.  Then you move on to your face wash, it has oat and wheat in it and you've just rubbed it all over your face, leaving that trail of contamination.  What about your body wash?  So you might not be getting the runoff like from your head and face, but there are studies that show gluten can irritate the skin as well - Hello Dermatitis Herpeteformis!  You get out, dry off and rub your favorite lotion all over - does it have gluten in it? Then you go grab your breakfast, lick your fingers and bing! You're contaminated.  You are eating gluten that is present in your shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash and makeup.

Speaking of makeup, this stuff is on your face, it should be a no-brainer. Even if you're not rubbing it on your lips, it flakes off during the day, you touch your face with your hands and then your food...make sure it's pure, maybe even nutritious, and for sure never buy any lip products that have any source of gluten!  I saw a statistic that the average woman eats 6 pounds of lipstick in a life time!  The average lipstick is 0.13 ounces (16 ounces to a pound).  And what if you're above average? Think about it...

I understand that the trace amounts may or may not be enough to bother you, depending on your sensitivity.  But, I also know that your exposure is cumulative and by the end of the day you may have come in contact with enough trace amounts to add up to a reaction in your system.  I'm just saying, eliminate any exposure you can.

Besides, there are so many wonderful products out there that are gluten free and do fabulous things for your body.  Shampoos and conditioners with silk protein are much nicer than wheat protein for glossing up those locks.  Aloe vera is the best greaseless and healing moisturizer there is and it's in many fabulous face washes, lotions and even hair products.  If you need styling aids, go for the silicone and lacquer based - that's what you want anyway, flexible hold, right?  Having wheat or oat protein in it will not help your hair, it's just a cheap marketing ploy, I say.

So, what do I use, you ask? I'll be honest, I use the cheap stuff.  To simplify my life I say, "If it's not at King Soopers or Walmart, I don't need it." I'll start at the top:

Hair 

At the moment, I'm using VO5 tea therapy shampoo in blackberry and alternate with Pantene Color Revival 2-in-1 shampoo because I use "Brass free brunettes" by Clairol while I'm growing out my crazy highlights, which by-the-way comes with a super conditioner!  Every couple weeks I use Selsun Blue because I like to wear black tops.
I used to use Garnier curl control mousse but I've switched to Suave Healthy Curls mousse, I like it better (less build up, softer hold).

Face

Neutrogena oil free acne wash redness soothing- it's green and has aloe in it.  Pure soothing, cool, refreshing facial in the morning.  LUV!
I luv luv luv my Loreal Skin Genesis serum!  It totally perfects my skin around my eyes.
Maybelline powder mineral makeup in fair and blush in soft mauve.  I also keep a compact of Covergirl simply powder in my purse. 

I have tried a million mascaras, it is the one thing I will not leave the house without unless I'm drugged and Covergirl Professional mascara is the one that I like the best, second to Maybelline Long and Lush.
I recently discovered Avon has a great online store.  They list ingredients for every product! I have an eyeliner, shadow and lip gloss from them in gold...it was a holiday special.  

Eyeshadows from Covergirl and Maybelline, Most recently I bought a "Shadow Blast" eyeshadow duo.  Wouldn't recommend due to the fact it broke on the first use - really soft!  The color creased instantly (and I do not have crepey eyelids yet so this has never happened before).  My powder shadows are great though!

Body

Lever 2000 soap in Aloe and Suave or SoftSoap body washes and hand soap have so far all proven safe.
Suave Cocoa Butter with Shea body lotion and Vaseline petroleum jelly for the really rough patches
Schick Intuition razors (I'm a time saver that way)

& my Bonus Free gift set from Victoria's Secret - I figured this would be a spare gift for someone...but I kept it all! Everything has ingredients listed and I could use the Beauty Rush lip gloss in Cherry Bomb, Love Spell and Dream Angels perfumes too.  I have a Cotton Candy spray too (I don't care what you say, you're never too old to smell like candy!)

*one last note* watch out for nail polishes.  I caught Sally Hansen putting wheat protein in some of hers and I don't know about you, but I'm prone to chippage and I don't want that in my cereal! Not that the other ingredients in nail polish are healthy eatin' but gluten is a big NO!NO!NO! in my house.

I think that covers it.  So if you need a shopping list so you can look and smell like me, there it is :)

P.S. I should be getting paid by sponsors for this, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment