Friday, May 21, 2010

Mmmm Oven Roast

I'm so excited about this meal!!  So, I got a roast at the store - one of those with a lot of fat marbled around in it so I knew that it should go in the oven, not the crockpot so all the fat could get all frittery.  Someone told me I should put it in the crock pot but I didn't listen and we are so glad! There are no pictures because I forgot to take them, and then after it was ready we were too hungry to wait - and I forgot.  Nonetheless...I will continue.

So, I sprayed my pyrex baking dish with nonstick and sliced up a couple small onions and minced up 2 cloves of garlic, very fine and sprinkled them around in the pan, reserving some of the onion slices for the top.  Then, I put the roast on top of the veggies and sprinkled pepper generously and some salt too, then put the rest of the onions on top.  Covered it in foil and put it in the fridge for the next day.

I  baked this baby at 365 for about 90 minutes.  The foil kept all the moisture in so there was a good amount of fat and water in the bottom of the dish.  I also had broccoli to roast so I cranked up the oven to 450, threw it in with the uncovered roast for 15 minutes.

My dinner guests had not yet arrived so I simply turned off the heat and let the food stay in the oven. Here's the best part.  When I took out the roast, all the juices had cooked off and the outside of it had browned up beautifully!  I had the perfect roast.  It was browned on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment