Thursday, October 7, 2010

Van's Waffles & my 1st green smoothie


So, these seem to be really popular around town. King Soopers and Safeway stock them, I expect to see them show up in Walmart any day now. So, why didn't I luv them?
1. They are not fully cooked. If I'd have read the package better I would have known this, but I thought I was picking up something quick. That could go in the toaster for a walking breakfast. These MUST be baked for 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven to be fully cooked.
2. They are so crunchy! I like a softer waffle, but these are so light that they crunched right up in those 10 minutes so that there was nothing chewy about them. I nuked them with a wet papertowel in hopes of a little squashiness. No good - they kept the crunch.

So, if you like crunchy waffles and don't get the wiggins from partially cooked and have time to bake in the morning - I'd give you the thumbs up because the taste was good.

As for me, I could have mixed up pancakes in the 20 minutes it takes for the preheat and baking of these, and I'd have had my chewy soft goodness from a Bob's Redmill mix.Oh boy. I decided to try to make a green smoothie because I have a fridge full of spinach and kale. I'm not so sure I did it right...I believed the hype that you could just toss some fruit together with some greens and go so I started with an apple, and an orange and the juice of a second orange so the Bullet would work.
Kinda blended that up liquid-like and added a couple kale leaves and blended twice as long as I thought I should.It was the thickest, chewiest, stringy mess I've ever tried to eat. I added a good running over tablespoon of honey to try and disguise that strong kale flavor. I was semi-successful. It tasted like a cup full of cow food. I ate half and the other half is waiting patiently for my sugar/chocolate craving before bed. I have to admit- after downing half of that I was no longer in the mood for goodies, or anything else for that matter.
I may have found a secret diet shake and I'll make a $million off this idea. Don't steal it!!
Next time I'm going to make it with banana and almond milk ala IGE. She may know the secret ;0)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on making your first green smoothie! Sadly, a lot of regular blenders have problems grinding up the finer parts of the greens. You could try getting a green powder and mixing with fruit if you have this issue again. It takes some time, and usually awhile before getting the fruit/veggie ratio down.

    ReplyDelete