Saturday, April 14, 2012

Crock Pot Meat Balls


Once in a while I cook...a lot of food...all at once...and freeze it. This happened with beef soup and meatballs in the Crock Pot.
My store had a BOGO deal on Laura's ground beef so I took full advantage of it and so thankful for my giant crock pot so I could cook all 4 pounds at once, and probably could have fit another 4 in it too! So I chopped up about 2 large onions and a couple cloves of garlic...
 Got out my 4 pounds of meat...
Put on my gloves 

and my fancy cooking shoes (they get me up high enough to make mixing in the c.p. easier)...
 Put it in the crock and mixed it all up with some salt & pepper.  I was going for fairly plain here since I expect to use the leftovers as burgers, meat sauce, meat loaves etc.
Then I divided it in half again and again until I had 8 half pound balls - effectively 2 servings each...
Then I dumped in 3 cans of Contadina tomato sauce so the cooker would be full enough to work...

And after they were all done I put them in baggies in the freezer. I use baggies instead of my containers because of tomato sauce stains, and I'm going to reheat in glass anyway.
Nestled in with the containers of beef soup * I made the day before. That's like a month of dinners, right there! Woo Hoo!
So, do you do a big cooking day to stock the freezer? Any favorite recipes?
By the way, if you're curious, each 8 ounce meat ball is 8 WW points, including the sauce.
 *Beef soup recipe: 2 pound roast, small baggie of baby carrots, 2 onions quartered, 1 tsp each rosemary, thyme, salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, couple dashes of red pepper flakes and water to fill the Crock Pot. It was too simple to blog alone
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment